Summer vacation begins on Thursday June 30 and school resumes on Wednesday September 7 for the 2022-2023 academic year! Moving on Up day for new Grade 9 students will be August 29 – detailed information will be sent to parent(s)/guardian(s) closer to the date.
CLICK HERE for a guide filled with activities, opportunities, and resources to support your well being during the summer. There is also information on where and how to reach out for help. We hope you have a wonderful summer! See you in September!
SummerUp, is free of charge to participants and most courses begin in the second week of July. SummerUp is an invitation to Black high school youth to come together to learn, collaborate, discover and aspire. Students entering Grades 9 to 12 in September 2022 will likely find a SummerUp course that will serve their needs. Each course offers a special experience – we have reframed the context for learning. Courses vary in duration and delivery mode.
Applications can be found by going to this link : https://llileaders.com/summerup/
Check out the Student Opportunities tab for volunteer and work positions available to high school students! The page will be updated throughout the month!
BridgeTO Youth is once again partnering with Amazon to host BridgeTO Hacks: Your Voice is Power on May 28th, 2022. A full-day event to help students learn how computer science and music can help advance racial equity and social justice. And this year it’s going to be in-person at Amazon Headquarters in downtown Toronto!
We are looking for approximately 100 students from under-served communities to participate in this event and would appreciate it if you could pass along our event details to your student group.
The event is open to all students in grades 10, 11 and 12.Students can register on our website: https://www.bridgetoyouth.com/yvip-student. Act now, as registrations close on May 7th, 2022 at 11:59PM.
What’s in it for students?
– Students will work in teams to remix songs using code from Indigenous artists by using what they have learned to compete for the grand prize, two iPad Pros with an Apple Pencil and case
– Students can also submit their remix music to Amazon’s Future Engineer Scholarship competition for the chance to win a $5,000 scholarship
– Loads of door prizes, swag and food for all, including breakfast, lunch, dinner and lots of snacks
– School bus pick up is also being arranged in multiple spots of the city
Your Voice is Power is a national competition for middle and high school students designed to teach the fundamentals of computer science, entrepreneurship, and social justice. Learn more on our website at: https://www.bridgetoyouth.com/yvip-2022.
Youth in the NACI community who need any immunizations/vaccines (Meningococcal, Hep B, HPV, Covid vaccines) are welcome to the Vaccine Clinic at NACI on Saturday April 23. Please bring the consent form (found in the flyer below). Book your appointment here!
Café Break is BACK! Attend this Wednesday April 20 from 5:00-6:00 PM! See the attached flyer below for the link and more information!
There are a number of scholarships and bursaries available to students. All information is posted in the senior Guidance Google Classrooms!
1. The CST Foundation Bursary awards are available to students who demonstrate financial need. Students must be the first-generation in their family to attend post-secondary education (students whose parents did not attend either college or university). The $150,000 is split into 25 bursaries each worth $6,000. Applications are open until May 6, 2022. Students can access the scholarship from their myBlueprint Account (Tasks Section) or by visiting the 2022 CST Foundation Bursaries Landing Page.
2. Scotiabank in partnership with myBlueprint : This year Scotiabank has doubled its support for student post-secondary aspirations with a total of $60,000 for students’ scholarships in 4 Themes (Financial Wellness, STEM, Diversity, Future Women Leaders). This exciting opportunity is available to current Grade 12 Students with 4 x $3,750 scholarships (one per theme). Phase 1 Applications are open until April 30, 2022. Students can access the scholarship from their myBlueprint Account (Tasks Section) or by clicking Apply Now on the 2022 Scotiabank Scholarships Landing Page.
3. The Rotary Club of Toronto Scholarship is a four-year tuition scholarship of up to $10,000 a year. It is awarded to an outstanding student graduating from a Toronto High School with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma. The applicant must demonstrate financial need, academic excellence, leadership and breadth and depth of community service. For more information, click here for the Application. Questions regarding the application process can be emailed to email@example.com *Note: School Guidance Counsellors are asked to please review the entire application with the student and offer any clarification and/or assistance, excluding the essay, as it must be prepared by the applicant only.
4. The Know Your Worth Sub-Committee, a section of the African Heritage Month Planning Committee, is committed to encouraging and supporting graduating students of African heritage to further their post-secondary education. The 2021-2022 Know Your Worth (KYW) Scholarship offers three financial awards valued at $2,000 each:
- Kujichagulia Academic Award (Due Friday, May 13, 2022, @ 11:59pm) *all TDSB students of African heritage, with an 80%+ average (minimum) can apply.
- Kuumba Creative Award, and (Due Friday April 22, 2022, @ 11:59pm)
- Umoja Leadership Award (Due Friday April 22, 2022, @11:59pm)
These awards will be available to support a graduating student applicant of African heritage who practices academic excellence, and/or demonstrates strong creative abilities, and/or leadership skills with the ambition to aid in the social progression of their community. TDSB students who identify as being of African heritage and have attended the Know Your Worth Conference will be given preference for the Umoja Leadership Award and the Kuumba Creative Award. All interested applicants, please see the attached 2021-2022 KYW Scholarship Information with the relevant Google Form link to submit your application.
5. The MAX Scholarships Fund (MSF) awards well- rounded High School and University students who are eager to make an impact, learn and create. They are students who have contributed to their communities and Canada at large, achieved above-average marks and are recognized by their peers. We are currently accepting applications for the 2022 Scholarship Cycle. Application deadline is on Apr 16, 2022 @ 12:00 AM.
Wednesday April 20th is a credit rescue day and it is also a LATE START. Students who are at-risk of not earning the credit for a class will be emailed by teachers to attend that day – virtual students will attend virtually and in-person students will attend in-person. All other students will do asynchronous work that supports learning or mental health. Students will sign in for attendance all 4 periods. This is an important opportunity for students to get extra help, re-do work or catch up on missing work. Please look out for an email from teachers.
Applications are now open through Student Mental Health Ontario for ThriveSMH, a provincial student reference group. This is a group of students working within School Mental Health Ontario to amplifythe voices of students and support equitable school mental health, focussing on ways to reduce stigma and promote mental health. The group is looking for students in grades 7-11 from publicly funded schools across Ontario. Students with identities that have been historically disadvantaged, oppressed and marginalized, including those that self-identify as Black, Indigenous, racialized, a person with a disability, diverse bodied and/or 2SLGBTQI+ are encouraged to apply. The application is open until April 13, 2022. Click here for the link!