The theme of this year’s Mental Health Week is understanding our emotions. Recognizing, labeling and accepting our feelings are all part of protecting and promoting good mental health for everyone.
• 1 in 5 Canadians experiences mental illness or a mental health issue in any given year, but 5 in 5 of us – that’s all of us – has mental health.
• Regardless of whether or not we have a mental illness, our mental health is something we can protect and nurture.
• Everyone deserves to feel well, and understanding our emotions is a part of feeling well.
• Emotional well-being includes recognizing what influences our emotions, discovering how our emotions affect the way we think or act, taking action when our emotional response isn’t helpful and learning to accept them.3
• Emotional self-regulation, or the ability to label and shape your emotions, is a protective factor for good mental health.4